1960 NSU Prinz III
In 1955, the NSU engineering department was instructed to build a new small car. 7.5 million marks were borrowed to build a new plant for the project.
The car was ready for the Frankfurt Auto Show in September 1957. Its attractive body carried a 583cc twin-cylinder 4-stroke motor which featured the technically interesting Ultramax cam-drive using eccentrics and rods.
Production began in Mar. 1958, and in 1959 came the Prinz II which featured better trim and an all-synchro box. A high performance 30E (export) version gave 30 hp.
The Prinz III arrived in October 1960 with a new stabilizer bar and the 30hp motor, making it one of the fastest small cars of its time-at 120kph. This attractive car was also technically well sorted out and built.
It was succeeded in 1961 by the Corvair-like Prinz IV.
The museum's example of a Prinz III is a rare right-hand drive example from Australia.
Volkswagen took over NSU, and then merged it with its Audi subsidiary to form Audi NSU Auto Union AG. The Neckarsulm plant is currently building certain Audi and Porsche models.
Manufacturer: NSU Motorenwerke AG, Neckarsulm, Germany
|Model: Prinz III
||Motor: NSU 4-stroke
||Body: Steel unit body
|Years Built: 1, II , III Sept.57 -1962
||No. Cylinders: 2
|No. Produced: 95,000
||Suspension Front: Coil
|No. Surviving: N/A
||Suspension Rear: Coil
|Length: 3 150 mm
||Gearbox: 4 fwd. + rev.
||Steering: Rack & pinion
|Width: 1 420 mm
|Weight: 496 kg
||Electrics: 12 v
||4 Wheels: 4.40 x 12"
|Interior: 4 seats
||Top Speed: 120 kph