Built in Manresa, near Barcelona, by Automoviles Utilitarios S. A., the pretty little PTV (named after company owners Perramon, Tacho and Vila) was the second-biggest-selling microcar in Spain, next to Biscuter. While the latter was strictly a primitive, utilitarian device, the PTV was- with its proper doors, 2-tone paint, chrome trim and 12-inch wheels- intended for a more upscale, discerning clientele.
After a lengthy 2-year development period, the prototype appeared in 1956, featuring an in-house 250cc motor with aluminum piston and head, which drove the rear wheels. Independent front suspension, large diameter wheels and snug, enclosed bodywork even allowed discussion of driving comfort- a subject not remotely considered by a Biscuter driver.
The car was improved over the years with the addition of bumpers and other extras. A 350cc motor was planned for later cars but was never actually put into production.
Inevitably, the end came from competition with a "real" car- the Fiat 600, license-built in Spain as the S.E.A.T. 600. This mass-produced, not-much-more-expensive car, had four cylinders and four seats, and simply steamrollered over the hand built PTV- a scene repeated all over Europe in the late 1950's.
AUSA is still with us today, producing utility equipment and forklift trucks.
This car is an example of an early "Sport" version with no doors.
It is extremely rare as many early models were later altered by their owners to suit their needs.
This car is also signed by 1 of the original builders!
Manufacturer: Automobiles Utilitarios S. A., Manresa, Spain